Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Soup of the Week: Replaced by Turkey Chili
This week I thought I would try making turkey chili in the crockpot. I make very good chili but using turkey is new for me. I'm on a health kick. I'm 7 lbs lighter than I was in November and I have more to go. I usually cook very healthy anyways but calorie counting has made me realize what portions I should be eating and how to get more out of them. I should note I could huge portions because I like to have something healthy around the house all week. And if I make too much I just freeze it for a day when I'm too lazy or poor to cook. Also I'm Italian so I think I'm genetically coded to cook for families of 12 despite the fact I'm an only child.

For this recipe I used:
1 lb of ground turkey, 2 cans kidney beans, 1 can black beans, 2 green peppers, 1 red pepper, 1 white onion, one large can of tomato juice, cumin, chili powder, fresh ground pepper, fresh minced garlic, cilantro, taco seasoning, a bit of salt.

First I browned the turkey in a pan. After it was about 2/3s of the way done I added the fresh garlic and onions to give it more flavor. Then I transferred it to the crockpot and added the peppers, beans and tomato juice. I probably used 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning and cilantro and 1.5 tablespoons of cumin and fresh ground pepper. I didn't add much salt because the tomato juice has some already. It was in the crockpot for 6 hours.

No comments: