Monday, January 11, 2010

Soup of the Week: Pasta Fagioli. Mmmmm.

I wanted to try a new soup this week. I didn't use the crockpot for this one. Its a yummy tomato based bean soup in case you were wondering. Sorry for a lack of measurements. I don't measure when I cook. I just go for it. My ingredients:
Orzo
Can of diced tomatoes (slightly pureed)
Chicken bouillon
Turkey bacon (the original recipe called for a fancy Italian ham or bacon. I opted for something more healthy)
Carrots
Celery
Onion
Escarole
White beans. I used 4 cans. 
Pepper, Garlic, Oregano, Basil
Olive Oil

Saute the bacon in a separate pan. Then remove and dice. This eliminates some of the greasiness from affecting the soup. Then in the soup pot add the bacon and the onion and olive oil. After a minute or two add the carrots and celery.
Next add water and the remaining ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil. Then lower heat and cook for one hour. I used too much water for the broth but it turned out yummy nevertheless.

No comments: