Saturday, January 02, 2010

I'm trying to be a good blogger. And with the nice set up of scheduling blogs I can write them and then set a time for them to post. So when I'm snug under a blanket with my loyal space heater by my side on Sundays I can get a lot done. Sunday is usually cooking day for the week. I've been trying to make a soup a week. Its healthy and keeps me eating that way throughout the week when I often don't have time to cook. I also got a crockpot for Christmas which I'm very excited about. I've decided to start posting some of my food creations. Eating is something I love. And since I make dishes it kinda goes hand and hand. Below is my first crockpot creation: southwest stuffed peppers. I needed something vegetarian after a week of meat for Christmas. Please excuse the blurry picture. I'm trying to not be OCD about this.


The recipe called for:
4 large green peppers
1 cup rice
1 can black beans
1 can corn
1/2 cup green onions
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
Mix together ingredients and stuff peppers. Cook on high for 4 hours. 

All and all a good recipe however I made a few alterations. I tried using a yellow pepper along with the green and I think that was a better choice. I added more cumin then the recipe called for along with some taco seasoning, fresh ground pepper and garlic powder. I also served them with fresh avocado slices. I'm not a cheese eater (and cheese was called for in the original recipe). So creamy avocado-ness was perfect.

After trying this recipe I think the time I will use less corn, more beans and salsa and cilantro. It was definitely missing something and I think the cilantro was it.

I think my next recipe will be turkey chili. I really want some chili but again I'm meated out from the holiday season. We'll see how that turns out.

No comments: