Sunday, January 10, 2010



Project for the week: photographing artwork. Kill me now.

I am working with a friend to create a shop on my website. I love Etsy but I get so many hits on my site I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of potential customers. I also feel like maybe my work is getting lost in the shuffle. Somehow the whole does not know about Etsy. Seems impossible at this point but working with that point of view I think 2 online shops is the way to go.

All of this means I get to do my least favorite chore of all, photographing my work. I hate it. Its boring, some of my glazes don't like the same lighting as others, and some glazes are so shiny the glare is horrendous. I've tried all the tricks, etc. Lightbox, natural light, whatever. I don't care what anyone says because I will never like this chore. I rather take care of my accounting and that says a lot.

After taking photos comes the joy of cropping and editing on Photoshop. I also have to measure each piece. Another tedious task. Then shipping costs must be worked out. I have this down now thanks to my Etsy site but still I sometimes misjudge. I like to pack things with excess amounts of bubble wrap. I've only have 2 orders break in 3 years. Still more than I would like.

So as I begin this chore wish me luck. In my head I hope to have this whole shop thing live by the end of February. I think its a realistic goal but I'm in no rush. However the potential of selling online and dealing with less shows makes it all worth while.

1 comment:

Cindy Powers said...

I know what you mean about getting lost in etsy. I feel that way too. Good luck with shop #2.