Tuesday, January 05, 2010


New work. Round 1.
I have been trying to work on wall pieces for 3 years now. I have had little time to experiment. Lately I have felt like I am making work to sell, not making work to create. Therefore one of my goals for 2010 is to experiment and not worry if I have enough to sell or anything to sell. Come what may.

The first set of wall pieces were more like canvas. I constructed the boxes but the edges seemed so harsh. Then I tried using a foam mold. Again the shape was not quite right. Then of course holiday shows came and I abandoned my wall tiles.

The current piece above is essentially 2 tiles pressed together. There is a slight pillow quality to them so that they do not sit flat against the wall. There is a bit of a sculptural quality about them. Right now in my head I want these to be glazed in the gunmetal black/grey. I'm not sure how this will evolve but for the meantime I'm happy with the first round. I have made 6 and the construction is the best since the previous trials. I'll keep you posted on the progress. And in case you are wondering this one measures 5 inches square but it will shrink a bit.

1 comment:

kathy said...

coooooool. :)