Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Rethinking.

I have just completed the Lakewood Arts Festival. Its my last big show until November. The weather was perfect and the crowd was steady. They were there to shop although the one thing missing from shows the past few years have been large sales. The kind of sales that pay for your entire booth in one big swoop.

My frustrations are mounting with sales this year. I do not rely on my art sales as income. But I would be lying if I said I didn't hope that these sales could provide a steady secondary income. On the bright side I have a healthy inventory for holiday shows so I don't need to panic and crunch to make work. Just have to crank out some ornaments. This means I can experiment and work on the wall pieces some more.

It also means I can focus on grant applications. I just invested $150 in a new backdrop and light tent. I think its worth the investment in the long run to have a reliable set up for portfolio and website shots. I hate photographing my work and frankly I think I'm really really bad at it. Well lit photos are what I need to get some $$$.

But as always I'm sitting here wondering how long it will take me to get a return on my investment...

No comments: